Monday, May 18, 2009

Sweet Surprise!

Justin got the mail this morning and found a small package from our agency, The Gladney Center. We were excited to see that it was a CD just labeled "Abeba Darling". Hummmm... what could it be? We got the computer out and out of sight of Abeba (I'll explain this later) to find that it was precious pictures of our Abeba while in Ethiopia. I think this first picture must have been taken the day she went into Gladney's care from Kebetsahey. These are so sweet. It is just another small glimpse into her life before we knew and saw her for the first time. She looks so small and meek..I love this picture. How sweet is this face?





We just thought they were great and were so thankful to have them. We appreciate Gladney sharing them with us. Just one more thing that we are so impressed with Gladney by!

So, an explanation on why Abeba could not see these photos. We have found that seeing pictures from Ethiopia really bother Abeba, so much, she seems to wake up screaming on the nights we look at them. We can't explain this. Who knows what happened in this sweet little girl's young life? Something has caused some trauma (of course the adoption transition for a toddler can be this anyway!) in her past. I wish I knew. I probably never will. But in the meantime, we are trying to shelter her from seeing pictures that might remind her of her past. Someday, we look forward to talking with her about her heritage and our journey to bring her to our family, but for now, we will help her with looking at the present with bright hopes for the future.

3 comments:

Jen said...

what a beautiful git for her and you. She may come to appreciate the pictures when she is much older.

Kelsie said...

What a nice surprise. I'm sure that meant a lot to you and Justin! That is interesting about Abeba's struggle to see pictures of her past...
I must say that Caleb saw the pictures of Abeba, and he said, "Watch Beba?" He wanted to watch the video "Pictures of Progress". We've seen that video several times - he LOVES it! Always makes me cry...
Last but not least, I'm praying for Marta - keep us posted!

Ali said...

How sweet! We love Gladney! My son would wake in the middle of the night too when he saw pics of his foster home...It gets better with time obviously. We just visited his foster family, One year & almost 4 months since he seen them. I prepared with him pictures & such. I could tell he was ready when he didn't cry anymore when he saw the pics. I gave him time before I reintroduced them :)